Listen Live
HomeLocal NewsStories of CaledonThere’s Something About Mary

There’s Something About Mary

There’s Something About Mary

All photos credit Caledon Public Library

It was a warm summer afternoon in 1979. A teenage girl from Bolton stood at the doorway of a portable on Ellwood Drive West. Armed with a warm smile and a generous helping of enthusiasm she tentatively stepped inside.

That portable was the modest but much-loved home of the Caledon Public Library. The young girl was Mary Maw. At that time, she could think of nothing she wanted more than to become the next Page at CPL.  Mary was a student at Mayfield Secondary School and a friend who worked there had told her about the opportunity.

Mary Maw

Mary Maw

Margaret Fleetwood, who is still a Caledon resident, interviewed Mary that day. The young student’s smile and enthusiasm were complemented with a quick mind and an obvious love of libraries and, perhaps even more importantly, of people. Margaret decided that there was something about Mary that clearly felt right. And the Page job became hers. That day marked the first step of a journey that was to last over three and a half decades.

There was a brief pause in Mary’s Library career starting in 1983 when she decided to stay home with her firstborn. She admits to missing the work and “the energy and enthusiasm of the staff and their commitment to serving the community.” So, she returned in 1986, shortly after the Bolton branch of CPL had moved into the Albion Bolton Community Centre building. Mary has been working there uninterruptedly ever since – 37 amazing years – until announcing her retirement at the end of December 2023.

- Advertisement -

Margaret Fleetwood remained Mary’s boss as she progressed through multiple roles at the Library and Mary warmly acknowledges her as “Such a wonderful mentor.”

Libraries looked a little different in the seventies. They were, almost exclusively, about books. The small collection at CPL paled in comparison to the over 400,000 today, inclusive of digital titles. The word “shhhhh” was on everyone’s lips as a quiet place for reading or studying was the intention for the space. A small Audio Video department boasted 8mm and 16mm film.

Mary Mary with Kelley Potter

Mary Maw with Kelley Potter, Public Service Manager

As Mary progressed through roles in Circulation, Children’s Services, Technical Services, Public Service Manager, to her final position as Manager of Communications and Community Development, she witnessed an evolution on a scale few would have imagined.

Caledon Public Library has become a true community hub offering everything from e-books and DVDs, to accepting tax payments and providing water-testing kits, to computers and printing and tech support.

“I am particularly proud of our Library of Things” says Mary. “It continues to grow and there are so many items that can be borrowed for free with your Library card. Such as items that can help manage your health like light therapy lamps and blood pressure monitors. And help you learn something new like Ozobots and Launchpads. There are items that encourage accessibility and inclusion like Daisy readers and scanning pens. There are even items such as GoPro cameras, binoculars, park passes and musical instruments that can lead the way to new hobbies and activities.”

Mary Maw with Colleen Lipp

Mary Maw with Chief Librarian and CEO Colleen Lipp

Mary points out that there are also now two MakerSpaces in CPL locations that are vibrant do-it-yourself studios offering new innovative technologies and services that are not available anywhere else in Caledon. “These are equipped with 3D printers, and audio and video capture and editing tools, laser cutters and green screen, as well as traditional arts and crafts supplies, providing spaces where people can create, invent and learn together, building skills for life” she explains.

And then there is Artful Caledon. It’s CPL’s creative platform for artists, authors and musicians.

From a time when the library’s six branches, included one (Belfountain) where a visit to washroom facilities necessitated a short drive, Mary has witnessed the opening of the seventh branch (Margaret Dunn Valleywood), the closing of the Belfountain Branch, the opening of Southfields Village Branch and the relocation of the Caledon East branch to the expanded Caledon East Community Centre. “I’m very proud that my legacy includes a phrase I coined that anywhere in Caledon you are never more than 15 minutes away from a library” she beams.

Mary Maw with former CPL employee Robert Simeon

“I loved the challenges and changes that my career offered me” Mary says. “Looking back, I can see how, as the library evolved and grew, so did I. The staff and volunteers have all been an inspiration to me and the friendships forged have been an extraordinary part of my life. I would so like to give a special shoutout to the Friends of Caledon Public Library. I have been fortunate to have been a part of this small but mighty group of dedicated volunteers who have been working tirelessly for years in support of CPL.”

So, what’s next in store for Mary?

“Retirement will be such a major milestone; thinking about all the possibilities is almost overwhelming. But what I do know for sure is that I want to spend more time with family; especially my two beautiful grandsons who live down east. I want to take more quality time for meaningful relationships with friends. I also want to satisfy my wanderlust and jump in our RV and hit the open road. Of course, I’ll take my husband along for the ride. I need him to drive” she laughs.

A diehard Leafs fan Mary loves the authentic jersey that she was gifted from staff at her retirement party. It reads GrandMary on the back. When asked what number she’d like on it she chose 23 for the year of her retirement. “If I’ve learned nothing else it’s to do your research first to see who has worn the number. It turns out that was Eddie Shacks number, so I’ve settled with that” she adds.

Mary says she plans to wear that jersey to the parade when the Leafs win that elusive cup 💙

Note: You can view the special video of memories created for Mary’s retirement party at the bottom of this post

What folks had to say…

Kelley Potter, Public Service Director, Caledon Public Library

“Mary and I shared an office for over 20 years. During that time, we really began to share our lives. In the beginning she was Public Service Manager and I was Youth Services Manager and so we always worked on projects together and it was just like lightning in a bottle. I consider my years working with Mary a true gift. She is warm, compassionate and is the one that made all of us at CPL truly understand the importance of partnerships and community. But what is also wonderful about Mary is that she is generous, so I know that she has given her team and all of CPL all that they require to move forward and flourish in their own right. . . that’s just how Mary rolls. . .”

Colleen Lipp, CEO and Chief Librarian, Caledon Public Library

“Mary’s many achievements and contributions are remarkable and impressive. Having worked at CPL for more than 35 years, she has seen us grow and evolve.  She has played a key role in developing and implementing some incredibly innovative and successful projects and campaigns that have been instrumental in raising awareness of all that CPL has to offer. She is a leader, a role model, and a friend. She has taught us so much about the community, the library, and the art of effective communication.   Simply put, CPL is a better library because of Mary Maw.”

Robert Simeon, former CPL employee

“If you know Caledon Public Library, you know Mary Maw! Mary had been an integral part of the CPL team for over 35 years. For decades Mary has connected thousands of residents to the amazing collections, programs and services offered by the library. I was lucky to work with Mary early in my career and thankful for her mentorship and friendship. Wishing Mary all the best in this exciting next chapter (book pun intended) of her life!”

Tony Maxwell, Caledon Public Library Board Chair

“On behalf of the Board, I want to express our appreciation for Mary’s commitment to excellence and her role in shaping CPL into the esteemed institution it is today. We wish her a fulfilling and joyous retirement.”

The post There’s Something About Mary appeared first on Just Sayin’ Caledon.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading