The Town of Caledon Fire & Emergency Services recognizes the importance of Diwali, the “Festival of Lights”, for many in the Caledon community.
The Town often receives inquiries about the use of fireworks during Diwali. We would like to remind everyone that the Town of Caledon’s Fireworks Bylaw does not allow personal use fireworks.
Setting off fireworks on residential properties, sidewalks, streets, public parks, school yards and any other public areas, is prohibited and subject to a fine.
If you are celebrating Diwali by lighting candles, please keep these safety tips in mind:
- Candles should be placed in a sturdy candle holder.
- Handheld candles should not be passed from one person to another at any time.
- Keep lit candles away from blinds, curtains, table runners, or other fabrics that could catch fire.
- Candles placed on, or near tables, altars, or shrines, must be watched by an adult.
- If a candle must burn continuously, be sure it is enclosed in a glass container and placed in a sink, on a metal tray, or in a deep basin filled with water.
- When you go out, blow out your candles.
Children and Candles
Candles should be out of the reach of children and pets.
Consider providing battery-operated candles for children. A parent should decide when a child is mature enough to light a candle with adult supervision.
Wishing you and your families a very happy and safe Diwali 2022.